It takes a lot more than just placing your hive in the backyard and leaving it to do its own thing. In this 3-hours hands on workshop you will learn Why, How and Where to keep bees. Ben Moore from Ben’s Bees is a nationally known professional beekeeper with over 20 years experience in beekeeping. Ben will share his love for bees, lifelong knowledge, practical skills, tips and tricks required to start and maintain your healthy bee colony in your garden. You will learn practically everything you need to know about urban bee husbandry to become a successful beekeeper.
On the day you will learn:
- How to build and look after your hive seasonally
- What equipment do you need and how you can use basic equipment from your household
- Where to keep your bees, positioning in the garden, flight-path direction
- Importance of pollination and positive impact on your garden,
- Biology of bees – understanding cast system and swarm control to make sure you are looking after your bees successfully
- Identification and disease management of bees
- Environmental (e.g. weather, seasons) impact on colony health
- How to set up a bee friendly garden
- Legal requirements
- Demonstration how to harvest bee products such as honey, pollen, bees wax, propolis (bee glue)– explanation why bees produce these products and their uses and benefits for humans an bees. Participants will have an opportunity to see, smell, taste and feel all the products
- There will be bees! This workshop will include opening the hive, holding bees, tasting honey from the hive and much more. All the protective clothing will be supplied
You will leave this workshop with:
- Confidence, knowledge and skills to start and sustain your healthy beehive.
- Takeaway bag full of bees` products surprises to eat, smell and use.
What to bring:
- your wonderful self
- your questions – there will be plenty of time for questions, make sure you write them down so you don`t forget to ask