Fermenting foods at home is making a come-back, and with good reason. Eating foods rich in probiotics is an excellent daily practice.
Most traditional peoples regularly consumed probiotic-rich foods. This was one of the ways they kept their gut flora healthy. Gut microbes are needed for many essential functions including protecting us from pathogenic microbes; maintaining the integrity of our gut wall; good immune system function; and the production of vitamins and other nutrients.
In this workshop you’ll learn how to embrace these ancient and safe food preservation techniques to make your own cultured delicacies.
Did you know? One tablespoon of fermented vegetables contains around the same number of beneficial micro-organisms in a whole bottle of commercial probiotics!
Join Lorraine for a 3 hour hands-on workshop of learning the basic techniques of fermentation, and tasting and making different fermented foods and drinks from around the world in a fun and relaxed small group environment.
On the day you will learn:
- why nourishing your gut health is the single most important thing you can do for yourself
- about gut flora and how important probiotics are to your overall health
- about the many health benefits of incorporating seasonal fermented foods into your everyday life for optimal gut health
- how to slowly incorporate ferments into your diet
Hands on experience
- this is a major part of the workshop where you will have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty in our kitchen
- you will make fermented foods and drinks such as sauerkraut, vegetable medley, milk kefir, kombucha and whey from scratch using your every day, kitchen utensils
- you will learn step by step processes using different fermentation techniques , tips and tricks, and basic principles of making fermented foods and drinks at home
- you will have the opportunity to see, feel, smell and taste a range of fermented foods and drinks from the around the globe
You will leave this workshop with:
- a starter pack consisting of your own kombucha SCOBY , kefir ‘grains’, jar of sauerkraut and vegetable medley (in a value of $50 included in the price of workshop)
- the knowledge and confidence to go home and get fermenting
- knowledge and practical experience of how to make your own delicious fermented foods and beverages in an ordinary kitchen with your own, every day, kitchen utensils
- a new appreciation of the role that probiotic foods and drinks can play in a nutritious and delicious diet
- full recipes, instructions and how to’s
- a good feeling that you have done something good for you and your family’s health
What to bring:
- your wonderful self
- your favorite apron, remember this is a hands-on workshop otherwise we will provide one for you
- your questions – there will be plenty of time for questions, make sure you write them down so you don`t forget to ask
Ashburton Community Centre
160 High Street, Ashburton, 3146
Take a sneak peak